Amidst all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I sometimes just want to sit down and have a snack! I often make these sweet and savory nuts around the holidays, but they are delicious any time of day or year. Feel free to swap the rosemary and cranberries for thyme and dried apricots…or your favorite herb and dried fruit combo.
- 5 cups assorted nuts (unsalted), such as peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, almond and pistachios
- 2 teaspoons ground chile (I like to use ancho or New Mexico)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- Zest and juice of one orange (although you might need one more to get 3 tablespoons of juice)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 350°. Combine nuts, chile, sugar, orange juice and zest and salt in a large bowl. Spread them out onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir rosemary and cranberries into the mixture and bake for 10 minutes more. Cool slightly before serving warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to a week.