It is officially fall, but someone has yet to inform my tomato plants. They are finally starting to wind down, but I still have more tomatoes than I can eat! Before I start canning and making sauce I chose to treat myself to one last BLT, capping off my summer tomato sandwich season before I move on to tomato soup and grilled cheese.
I’m fairly certain you are all capable of making a BLT, so there is really no need for a recipe. I just wanted to share these gorgeous tomatoes with you and inspire you to make one last toast to summer. Grab some white bread (nothing more complex than sourdough), crisp bacon, mayonnaise (homemade gives this sandwich a kick) and the ripest tomatoes around. I gilded the lily a bit with some pesto (made with spicy Hatch chiles – a post for another day!), but it isn’t necessary…
I included my recipe for homemade mayonnaise, which tastes nothing like any store bought version. To print the recipe, click in the box below.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable or safflower oil
- Place the eggs, lemon juice and salt in a blender or the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- In a measuring cup, combine the olive oil and vegetable oil. With the blender or processor running, pour in the oil mixture in a slow, steady stream. The mixture will become thick and creamy.
- NOTE: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly or anyone whose health is compromised.